Here's finally another project that's been a little on and off.

When I got my sewing machine last year, the first thing I started "fantasizing" about was a 50s style dress in white w/black polkadot sateen, so that was one of the first pieces of fabric I got. I had this idea of combining one of the tops in one of my vintage patterns with a circle skirt.

I made a muslin for the top first, and the size was fine. I did wonder if I should alter the darts in the back, but I didn't. I attached a piece of fabric to see if my estimate for my waist for the circle skirt was correct. After making the actual dress pieces, attaching the skirt to the dress and putting in a side zipper, I realized that I should have altered the positions of the darts in the back. Oh well, although not ideal, I know from the alterations of PUG dresses I did last fall that undoing seams, even on finished garments is not a disaster, especially if it makes the garment more wearable. And, I knew that I had to do something if I wanted to feel OK wearing it, so I did. For the hemline finishing, I just chose to make a double fold and a visible seam. On this dress it's not that visible anyway, but also since this is a 360 circle skirt of 27 inches length, I deliberately wanted to make it as easy as possible for myself (the finished hemline is about 5,5 meters long...).

So, not perfect all over, but I think (hope!) I'll wear it, for daytime or dress up with a petticoat and heels. I learnt a lot, anyway, and since I didn't really know what the result would be in advance, combining a random top and a skirt, I'm quite happy. A part of me wants to make another dress using this pattern now that I know what to do (I have this floral sateen in mind), maybe with 3/4 skirt, but I also have lots of vintage dress patterns I would like to use too, so...

Views: 560

Replies to This Discussion

Totally adorable. I love it with the black belt and the red shoes. A fantastic job!

It looks great on you! I'm sorry you're not totally thrilled with it in all ways, but truly, it looks lovely to an objective eye. And I agree with Liesel that the belt and shoes are perfect with it. Nice work again!

Thank you, ladies! I wore it this weekend, and it was a success. :)

I love it, it's really nice, usually I love more black with white polka dots but this is gorgeous!
I think it fits you perfectly!

RSS

Members

Discussion Forum

Jenny dress

Started by Lucy Aguilera Mar 24, 2015. 0 Replies

Hello there, has anyone ever altered a PUG Jenny dress? Practically the bust? I am not very blessed in that area and need to alter my dress. I am thinking of taking the boning out completely but…Continue

baby / toddler slings

Started by Kristina Hill Edwards. Last reply by Maria Houston Sep 30, 2014. 4 Replies

I could use some advise from you ladies... I used to make these baby/toddler ring slings…Continue

1950s style dress

Started by Margrete. Last reply by Miss Julia Aug 18, 2014. 4 Replies

Here's finally another project that's been a little on and off.When I got my sewing machine last year, the first thing I started "fantasizing" about was a 50s style dress in white w/black polkadot…Continue

Pattern Sizing and altering

Started by Melissa Gossett. Last reply by Miss Julia Aug 18, 2014. 1 Reply

I just joined the group and wanted to say this is amazing! I am a seamstress and make a lot of my own vintage clothing. I have been a seamstress for nearly 20 years, and I have done everything from…Continue

© 2024   Created by John at Pinup Girl Clothing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service