I'm not trying to discriminate about age here, but I was just wondering if there were any younger girls that wear PUG around? I'm 21 and at an age where most of my peers are prancing around in teeny shorts and see through crop tops, getting wasted at parties and well, just disrespecting themselves. 

I feel really out of touch with most girls my age and don't really see most of my friends any more because they are too busy catching herpes and getting wasted. We don't really go shopping together any more because our styles are too different...they like denim short shorts and hooker boots, and I like shirt waist dresses and kitten heels. They think my "grandma" clothes are hideous and I feel pretty much the same about their stripper clothes!

To tell you a bit about myself, I live in Brisbane, Australia and study film at university. I live with my boyfriend of five years and our 4 cats. I love wearing PUG and other repro brands (this is all I wear) and in my spare time I like going on picnics, trips to the sea side and going out for dinner at nice restaurants.

So are there any younger girls here who wear PUG and have old school values that want to chat?

Views: 928

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm 24

I agree. I'm 23, and I've only recent begun finding my fashion niche, but I was always odd-girl-out for not liking the club scene or wanting to troll the mall for boys. I was (and still am) always reading or doing something more out of the norm. My good friends accepted it; the ones who didn't aren't my friends. One of the reasons I love PUG so much is because it provides an entire community of like-minded people. I have my friends on the outside, and then I have my pin-up, retro, and glam friends.

I'm 21 and married. So, I tend to be singled out on that alone. Add to that my love of PUG and Vintage/Repro clothing/styles and I'm seen as the odd ball :( I live in Texas (born and raised) and the majority of my peers are into clothing that would make Daisy Duke blush!

Hi, I'm 26 & have been into pinup clothing for nearly 2 years now.  When I was a teenager & through to my early 20s I was into the goth/metal scene & was very skinny (weighed 120lbs at just under 5'8") & wore short skirts, tight tops, big boots etc.  However, I gradually gained weight (30lbs) & settled down properly with my boyfriend & didn't feel as though I could get away with wearing that kind of stuff anymore.  I got into pinup fashion as I'd always admired 50s style &  the actresses from that time period.  I felt so much more comfortable & have replaced most my old clothing with vintage repro & the odd true vintage item.  My close friends like the way I dress, others find it weird.  My boyfriend is appalled & wishes I still dressed like a teenager, which saddens me a bit but I won't change back!  I have no friends who are properly into the scene, hence me joining this site!!

I'm 19 and I can completely relate to your comment about what other girls at this age wear. It's hard to feel completely out of touch with your generation.

Maybe the young one aren't exposed to pug as much .I know a lot of youngs girls that are into psychobilly and rockabilly but most of them say there not really into the pug thing maybe its just where I live.

i'm 26, bu i've been dressing in vintage and repro clothes since i was 15. and theres one lesson i've learned over the years...hate begets hate. your friends will dress how they want to dress, in turn you can dress however you want. if you have a problem with strippers then take a good look at yourself because strippers are people too and they have feelings (i've known a few and i admire them) using their job description in a negitive context is the begining of your "problem" (for lack of a better term right now). not to mention, i've seen a few grandmas dress in those so called "stripper clothes"...more power to them if they have the confidance to pull it off, i know i wouldnt!

you want to be accepted, but you have to accept first. get over yourself, your no better than anyone else. in turn, they're no better than you. love yourself, and love others, or at least tolerate...tolerance will have you be a better person and thats how happiness and acceptance come into play...if you dont, you'll be running into this "problem" your whole life, or at least until you come across someone with more class...as its considered classy, not to be judgmental...thats my two cents, spend it how you please

Hi, I'm 19 and live near Sydney. I'm studying a double degree in Education and Science, three years until I graduate and become a high school science teacher!

I've always liked the 50s style, but never really decided to just 'go for it' and reinvent my style until about a year ago when I first discovered the PUG website! I actually went out teaching for 4 weeks in June and I wore my high waisted trousers, old-fashioned trench coats and other vintage-inspired clothes and some of the girls took a real interest in dressing nice!

Most of my friends are losing touch with me because our interests have started, and continue to diverge. Most are just too into chasing boys, not much clothing, clubbing, and excessive drinking. While I enjoy drawing, painting, reading and have had just the one boyfriend for 3 years. Others just think I've turned 'snob' because of my increase in beautiful clothing ('dressing up'), pride in my appearance and lipstick! I live in a semi-rural area and dressing up nicely is reserved for bank tellers, receptionists and older people going out for dinner. So I often stand out on days where I don't wear my usual skirt and band t-shirt combo.

It is hard being so different from everyone around me. I have always been a quiet and reserved person, so people often misjudge me as snobbish and rude once I start 'dressing up'. After my first lab session this semester with a new partner, she remarked on how nice I turned out to be despite the way I dressed. I asked her what she meant, and she believed that because I dress so nicely, it gives the impression that I somehow think I'm better than everyone. If I had had my lab coat on before she arrived, she would have never judged me wrongly in the first place.

Okay, you deserve a medal for reading this long post! Thank you. It was nice to let this out.

Emma, I'm an Aussie girl as well and Aussies have this strange notion that your a snob if you dress well. It's just a hick attitude and you shouldn't take it to heart. You know we have tall poppy syndrome over here, just because you stand out they want to chop you down. Stick to your guns and dress up! I know I do and I don't really hang around people that think negatively like that. As you grow older the good get separated from the average. Average friends will make you average, choose to rise above it. Good luck with teaching I just it my registration thru and let me assure you that I ONLY wear pin up - period. Nice to know there's another you. Teacher out there who takes a bit of pride in her appearance.

For the most part, Australian culture sucks! It annoys me that when you're not some hard drinker who loves their country and getting smashed of a weekend, then you're different and weird. There is tall poppy syndrome indeed! It's hard not to take it to heart because I can't make any friends, and I don't have many as it is.

Congrats on graduation! I can't wait to get out there and teach, I think it's important to teach young people, and girls especially, to be confident in how you look, that looking like everyone else isn't mandatory, and most importantly you can dress modestly and still look fabulous!

You said it right there. I agree a thousand-fold! Australia is beautiful, but it's hard to escape this culture that has developed!

I know exactly how you feel! I'm 21 (turning 22 on Thursday!) and don't know anyone my age with my interests or style. I sometimes feel out of place when I get dolled up, but I love the style too much to worry about it! I so wish I had other girls that understood my style and that I could spend time with. Not to bring out the violins, but I really with I had some girlfriends to chat with in general!

Sooo, if anyone happens to be around Raleigh, NC, and is part of the pro-PUG anti-getting plastered group, please reach out to me! Thank youuu! haha

Thanks for starting this thread! It makes me feel a little less alone in my style choices :)

RSS

Members

Forum

(somewhat melancholy....but..)

Started by BooPGirL in PUG Fans Around The World May 5, 2020. 0 Replies

I'm looking for examples of funeral appropriate style. Any suggestions? Continue

Sale: Bettie Page Aurora dress XL

Started by Marta in PUG Fans Around The World. Last reply by Susanne Brown Mar 11, 2019. 1 Reply

Sale: Bettie Page Aurora dress XLNever worn, new without tag, Belt Included!99 USD+…Continue

Tags: dress, pink, evening, formal, page

Doris pants in Chocolate brown

Started by Tabitha Burch in PUG Fans Around The World Feb 10, 2018. 0 Replies

I'm looking for a size 2x in the Doris pants in Chocolate brown. They are so out on the website. If anyone has a pair or know when it will be restocked, I need them!!

For saleBirdie dress floral S

Started by Marta in PUG Fans Around The World Oct 6, 2017. 0 Replies

Selling size S Birdie dress without belt, worn very few times. 70$+30 shipping worldwide.

© 2024   Created by John at Pinup Girl Clothing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service