I don't know how to start this discussion honestly. I'm always curious when I look through all your photos and read your bios. No one really talks about what they do for a living. I guess I wonder this because I work such an obscure job that I always imagine all the PUG enthusiasts are well known celebrities, or powerful business women because you are all so beautiful. 

I work in the offshore oilfield, 6 months a year I'm offshore on a barge or a boat and usually there aren't many girls. I wear steel toe boots, a hardhat, and pants. I never wear makeup and my hair is always in a ponytail. The other 6 months out of my year, I'm usually in a dress with full makeup and my hair done. 

So I guess what I'm asking is what do you guys do for a living? 

Views: 10752

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

my mom has been a checker/scan coordinator at Albertsons for...29 years :)

sucks they're closing SO many stores!

I agree, Sandy - my mom also worked at albertson's for a short period of time (she was a temp), and it's the one store she reliably shops. They're closing the ones all around our area, so there won't be one for her to go to at all...

I LOVE that reaction - I get that from the guys when they come in and I'm working as the cashier in our tools department. Oh, your ratchet needs to be replaced or repaired? Yup, I CAN DO THAT. NO, you do not need to wait for one of the guys. Don't get me wrong, I may not know everything, and the guys are consultatives, so they are commission-based, so if they're available, I pass them to the customer, but you know what, I've used/grown up with/know how most of these tools work. And yes, I am a petite redhead in a pencil skirt/dress and have barrel rolls. Lol... my absolute favorite is the little old ladies who stop when they're on their way through the store to tell me they love my hair - even the color!

I think it's satisfying that I can prove them wrong (and therefore, prove their misconceptions/discriminations wrong!).

I hope your job is safe...

This is an interesting discussion!

I am actually a substitute teacher and a waitress. I will be finished with my Master's in Education and teaching credential this November, and then I will hopefully find a job as an elementary school teacher. My students love my look (I'm known as the teacher that always has the flower in her hair!) I do have a few visible tattoos but I've never had any trouble because of them. I want more tattoos but I like to try to keep them in places that can be covered up, as I want to go into Education Administration and they can sometimes be frowned upon. 

Just because you don't know how to swim or photograph doesn't mean you can't learn and do it (eventually)!!! It's awesome to have a dream like that!!

I wish you luck with rehab... been there, done that, and it's hard work. Aquatic rehab is awesome - it allows for such a greater range of motion and ability, but you do feel it, especially when you're out of the water.

As for photo, some advice from someone who's done it most of her life (non-professionally): know the techniques, the why's and how's, but don't lose yourself in the technical. Some of my best shots ever have been accidental. Some have absolutely no technique whatsoever behind them - they were just shots that I took on a whim at a moment in time. Go with your gut. You'll learn how to "see" again what is around you, and learn what makes a good photo and what doesn't. And I'm sure there are other rules for photo'ing down in the blue deep, which I've never done. On that note, I would check out professionals, and study their work - and if they're current, follow their blog/facebook/twitter/etc, so you can see on a regular basis how they work. You'll learn A TON because they often include the how of the photo. Maybe even some non-pro photogs, if you can find them. I follow one on facebook that lives in Japan and shoots amazing shots. He's not a pro, but some of his shots are amazing. And he shares it all in his blog and on facebook. So if nothing else, I have great work to look at, lol.

Sorry, that was longer than I expected. Didn't intend to lecture you, just want to give some advice! Good luck again with rehab... Don't give up in the middle of it, even if it hurts & sucks (and it will!)!

Jenn =)

Hello,

I too was thinking this! What a great discussion! So fun reading about everyone's background. Well I work on a cruise ship for 7 months at a time, then I am home for 2 months. I am one of under 20 Americans onboard, with 56 countries represented. I work in the entertainment sector, with the cruise director. I run all guest activities onboard and host theme parties for the guest as well. I love PUG and always get complements no matter if they speak English or not. A point and a smile or thumbs up saids a lot to me lol. Live. laugh. Love & Travel!

Aubrey
Attachments:

You look fabulous!! Sounds like it's a fun (and probably hectic) job!!

I'm a self-employed web and graphic designer / web developer who does some web marketing and copywriting too. I've been working for myself since 2007 and I think it's great. Before I went to work for myself I'd worked in IT support and network systems admin looking after web servers, switches and routers etc for about 10 years but I got sort of burned out and wanted to do something creative instead, so I enrolled in graphic design school. I worked at a few web development shops to start out with but I wanted to use my creative and my technical skills too and found that I had to use one or the other at most employers so I launched my own company. I'm so happy I did because now I have the flexibility to work at home and look after my 18-month old daughter (and we've got another on the way April)!

My design style used in my work is a great way to express myself and I've often met with potential clients who are thrilled to work with someone with an expressive and somewhat unique style, it's a good way to see if we'll be a good fit to work together - it pays to advertise, right? When I meet with clients they know that they're not going to get boring work out of me and I think that works for both sides. Plus, when you're a designer you kind of have to be a bit flamoyant I think. 

I try to do each and everything in such a way like it's a new day and new start of life. Try to do this, it will make you happy.

how to braid hair

I'm a librarian specializing in digital and downloadable media. I'm moderately tattooed and dress in retro and retro-inspired outfits as much as I can at work. I'm not permitted to wear petticoats because of concerns over men trying to look up my skirts. Concerns that were raised by some of the staff. Staff who have also said that I "dress like it's Halloween." Jealous cows.

But I love my job. It's fun to be on the frontlines of bringing the library into the 21st century. It can't all be card catalogs and microfiche forever :)

I am the Education Coordinator at a history museum and an historian. I originally went to college to become an English teacher and decided to get a dual BA in History, because it's always been a passion of mine. Long story short, I ended up going to graduate school for Museum Studies and here I am! :) In my current job, I do a bit of everything: my title says I create and present programming to everyone from elementary school kids to senior citizens suffering from Alzheimer's and dementia, but I also do things like write grants, come up with exhibit text, and run the register in the gift shop when needed. I like working in a smaller museum, even though I end up doing a lot of things not in my job description, because it gives me much more freedom to take things in the direction I want. 

RSS

Members

Forum

(somewhat melancholy....but..)

Started by BooPGirL in PUG Fans Around The World May 5, 2020. 0 Replies

I'm looking for examples of funeral appropriate style. Any suggestions? Continue

Sale: Bettie Page Aurora dress XL

Started by Marta in PUG Fans Around The World. Last reply by Susanne Brown Mar 11, 2019. 1 Reply

Sale: Bettie Page Aurora dress XLNever worn, new without tag, Belt Included!99 USD+…Continue

Tags: dress, pink, evening, formal, page

Doris pants in Chocolate brown

Started by Tabitha Burch in PUG Fans Around The World Feb 10, 2018. 0 Replies

I'm looking for a size 2x in the Doris pants in Chocolate brown. They are so out on the website. If anyone has a pair or know when it will be restocked, I need them!!

For saleBirdie dress floral S

Started by Marta in PUG Fans Around The World Oct 6, 2017. 0 Replies

Selling size S Birdie dress without belt, worn very few times. 70$+30 shipping worldwide.

© 2024   Created by John at Pinup Girl Clothing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service