I've been noticing that a lot of people have been saying that they can not or have a hard time mastering the winged eyeliner. So i wanted anyone who feels this way to vent about the problem. What goes wrong? What are you having issues with? Or just give the whole play by play. I am curious to understand this frustration and hope to be able to help. :)

Views: 5063

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I found this picture too.  I have trouble creating a good "wing" but I think this may help some :) The key is finding an angle/wing that goes with the shape of your eye, which I still have trouble with!!

For me, the problem is that I have hooded eyelids that are not in the least bit symmetrical.  Here is an example of what happens to just one of my eyes.

When I have my eyebrow raised or keep my eye shut, it looks beautiful!  Open my eye normally?  Ugh.

I have the same trouble! Im sure that under all of my eyelid i have perfect wings happening!!

yep, me too. I try and start lower so that i basically go under the crease, does that make sense? so the liner doesn't go through the fold.

I start THE other way around. I look straight in the mirrow and start by making à line from the outside corner up to wher the wing should end. Then i make a triangle to from the top of That wingline to the middel of my eye and colour it in. After That i go from the inside corner to the triangle and i'm done

Good tip, Pascale. I have been trying it that way in the last week and have to say I'm loving it!

I think the key is finding the right product for your individual taste/ eye shape/ control etc. I have used gel/ powder/ pencil/ liquid and marker or 'texta' eyeliners. My favourite has to be a cheap Maybelline product called line definer (it's discontinued but still on sale in a lot of places). It is a marker-style eyeliner and so easy to control and gives great coverage. Some reviews, however, hate this product so it's personal taste! I have Maybelline line stiletto which generally gets much better reviews than line definer but I have a lot of trouble with it. I always manage to smudge it and get it oozing into the inner corners of my eyes.

I've managed to perfect a subtle wing that I like as a result of finding the right product for me. I think that's a big part of it.

I've been experimenting with different colour eyeliners for the past several weeks, mainly because sometimes black eyeliner looks too harsh during the day. I've found that using brown, navy blue or grey gives as great an impact without the harshness. Try it and see! It's a lovely soft PUG look.

So, as the months have gone by since this discussion was started, I found my IDEAL (ie I LOVE THIS STUFF) liner: it's Milani's infinite eyeliner (ok, it's midnight and I don't want to go in the house and get it, but will check the name in the morning); it's a limited edition line in I think 6 colors. I have the plum & the black, and will be picking up the green, blue, brown (and I think grey?), as well as extras. It is definitely anything-proof, but I have no problems taking it off with baby oil. There were reviews that I read/saw that said it was a pita* to take off, but I haven't had any problems when using baby oil. And to set it? I either hand-fan or look at the fan for about a minute (I'm cautious). And it's set for the day. For oops's, I use a q-tip moistened (ie not soaked) in baby oil.

I watched the scotch tape vid too, and love it, but again, I think I'm going to have to experiment and post pics for a should I/shouldn't I? debate here, because I don't know that my eye shape, the slight size difference in my eyes, and the hooding make for a winging. I simply line and play with the line's thickness... it works (or seems to... everyone seems to like my makeup at work).

I was going to order e.l.f.'s gel line in a pot, but I went through the reviews (which I will do because I want to see what others think of the product, and I also search online for beauty blogger reviews as well, which I didn't really find) and it said that the pot dries out quickly. So scratch that. I have searched for the felt tip pens, because I think they would work for my ability (on the minimal side), but have yet to find them. I am looking at getting a product from e.l.f. that sets anything into an infinite product (ie anything-proofing it), but I'd like to know if anyone's used this before? I can't find very many bad reviews on it, and everybody loves that it can be used with eyeshadows to create custom liners (which is what I'd like it for). So if you've used this, please let me know... And hope the info on the Milani makes some of you give it a go... or any anything-proof liner, really. And for those who have problems with taking it off without really irritating your eyes, try a cotton ball with baby oil on it... does wonders (gets off that -proofed lipstick & mascara too!)!

*forgot: P.I.T.A.: from when I waitressed, Pain-In-The-Ass (we used it to refer to customers in a nondescript way but so that we would know exactly what each of us was saying).

Winged eyeliner is the absolute key to the whole Pinup look, but it's tough.  I've been working on perfecting a technique (still working on it, but I've gotten pretty good at it) and finding products I like for a couple of years.  Here is what I've found out...

First of all, I started wearing the wings because it occurred to me that wearing eyeliner underneath my eyes was making me look old and tired (I'm 48).  I decided to start wearing it only on my upper lids because it made me feel fresher.  When I added the batwings...well, that was a whole bunch of bonus sass and sexiness...

I definitely prefer a felt tip liner.  Lorac has been my go-to brand.  It comes in black and brown.  I mostly use the brown. Most other brands I have tried are frankly shitty, but the Lorac never fails me.

Personally, since I have blue eyes and light red hair, I feel like black liner is often too much.  I really wanted a medium grey felt tip liner--I searched for it forever. FINALLY, I've found the perfect one... http://www.bodybelle.com/Velvet-Eyeliner-By-Migi-Cosmetics-p/55766.htm  This stuff is great and it's only $15.00.  And it comes in cool colors like Plum.  The grey is fabulous, btw. 

As far as technique goes, I draw in the outer corners first and then draw the line on the upper lid and connect it to the corners.  This makes it easier for me to get the left eye to look the same as the right eye.  :)

RSS

Members

Forum

(somewhat melancholy....but..)

Started by BooPGirL in PUG Fans Around The World May 5, 2020. 0 Replies

I'm looking for examples of funeral appropriate style. Any suggestions? Continue

Sale: Bettie Page Aurora dress XL

Started by Marta in PUG Fans Around The World. Last reply by Susanne Brown Mar 11, 2019. 1 Reply

Sale: Bettie Page Aurora dress XLNever worn, new without tag, Belt Included!99 USD+…Continue

Tags: dress, pink, evening, formal, page

Doris pants in Chocolate brown

Started by Tabitha Burch in PUG Fans Around The World Feb 10, 2018. 0 Replies

I'm looking for a size 2x in the Doris pants in Chocolate brown. They are so out on the website. If anyone has a pair or know when it will be restocked, I need them!!

For saleBirdie dress floral S

Started by Marta in PUG Fans Around The World Oct 6, 2017. 0 Replies

Selling size S Birdie dress without belt, worn very few times. 70$+30 shipping worldwide.

© 2024   Created by John at Pinup Girl Clothing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service