Sorry to be so nosy, but I am a little curious about what parts of the world everyone here lives in because I am interested to know what sort of reception PUG and just wearing repro in general gets in other countries!

I live in Australia but have been living in Moscow, Russia for nearly two months. In Australia I live in Brisbane and I am yet to run into anyone dressed remotely vintage. Most of the time when I go out I get a lot of stares which normally ends up with me dishing out a lot of glares because I hate it when people stare...lol. Normally teenagers can be pretty nasty, but every now and then you do get some sweet person that comes up to chat about what I'm wearing. What is it like where you live, what kind of reactions do you get when you wear vintage/reproduction clothing? Are there others that wear anything similar?

In Russia I have gotten some stares from wearing PUG, but only in the good sense I think! I have noticed that there are quite a few women here usually in their 30s, who wear either real vintage (50s and 60s style) or modern vintage inspired dresses. On one occasion I saw a man in his 40s wearing what looked like completely authentic vintage 1950s/early 60s, dressed for a day at the office. Now keeping in mind that Russia is a developing nation, it could be that his look was completely unintentional and thrifted on account of how poor people are here, but either way he looked fantastic!

So what is it like in your parts of the world? I am really curious to know!

Views: 3213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good luck on your education! I'm in the process of getting my BS in Neuroscience, then will be getting my MD in psychiatry. I want to study personality disorders and serial killers :)

Thanks - you too!! I was initially going the same route as you, but found that the licensing for Psychiatry seriously limits the testing and diagnostics you are allowed to do, and I also decided I was not cut out to be a lab-rat. All the more to you if that's your thing!!

I am so excited about going back; I am looking forward to doing my Practica/Internships at LA's Twin Towers & Lynwood facilities, as well as at Patton State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. I am also focusing on serial criminals (more than just the murderers, but they are the icing on the cake!) and all things Forensic. I will also be working in ER Psych, which is also a love. The school I will be attending also has 1-2 week "seminars" in several international locations - I'm excited to go to Italy to learn about the Mafia and Mexico City to learn about gangs/drugs/cartels!!! I hope to work with both the LAPD and the LASD as not only their on-staff psych, but also their go-to gal for hostage negotiation, psych profiles, and cold case help. 

Anytime you want to chat psych, let me know - I am so up for that!!! Good luck again!

I don't want to do "lab" work either, that's why I chose not to go the PhD route.  lol.  I wanted the flexibilty that the MD allows, for example I will be able to move anywhere in the US and not have to get re-liscensed. Every state has different requirements for psychologists and if you get liscensed in one state, you may not be eligible in another state.  I have also been told that some states don't accept internship hours from other states, so if you move even after practicing for years, you may have to redo internship hours before being able to take the exams.  I will also be able to prescribe medication, I think that opens a lot of doors.  As a MD, you can also have privilages at a hospital even in private practice, so I would have access to the MRI and other brain imaging equipment (yay!). I ultimately want to run a prison mental health hospital and perform my own research to find the part of the brain that is responsible for serial behavior.  Currently, personality disorders aren't curable...I will cure them! :)

I think we should double up!! And you know, look damn good doing it!!

Oh my gosh, Cela, how interesting to study personality disorders and serial killers! I'd love to do forensic psychology but as I'm back to study as a mature age student, I'll just be grateful to get my BA in psychology before I'm 70! LOL

I hope you don't mind me saying this...but, I found your story really interesting to read. I live in Australia where our economy is booming, teachers and nurses are paid very well, a visit to the doctors is free for everyone and a university education doesn't financially cripple us... We hear a lot about the current US situation in the news but it was interesting to read your real life story. I wish you all the best with your educational endeavors and surely it will all pay off someday when things get better! 

You mentioned you don't currently own any PUG. It would be interesting to hear where you get your wardrobe from and how you put things together :)

I'm currently waiting for approval from my job (Sears) to use them, as well as other retailers, on modern vintage inspired wears. I will definitely let ya'll know when I get that up and running (and using this waiting time to figure out how to write a blog, lol... kind of a technophobe!). I have found that there is a TON of inspiration in some of the current styles out there, it's just a matter of someone showing you how to look!

And thanks for the wishes! It is way different to hear on the news how the economy affects people than to "know" someone who is truly affected by it. Hopefully, things will continue to swing up here in the US, and it's great to know that there are places in the world where people don't have the trials & tribulations that we do here.

I think that's missing in the blogosphere right now. Good luck with it and look forward to it!

I live in Minneapolis and we have a pretty great vintage shopping scene AND a Bettie Page store at the Mall of America so I'm surprised I don't see more people dressed in vintage or vintage inspired.  That said I haven't seen TOO many but I'm probably not hanging out in the right place.  I saw some girls dressed up at the State Fair last year only to figure out it was Doris Mayday.  It was like seeing a celebrity lol.  I'm just starting to get into the PUG style so I don't have enough clothes to dress up every day.  I generally dress PUG when I go out for dinner or to an event and I've gotten compliments thus far.  My sister in law introduced me to her new boyfriend as "the pin up in the family" - I think that was a compliment? ha.   Minneapolis itself is pretty open minded about what people wear - you see a million different styles on the streets downtown.  If I were to go to the small country town my parents live in 3 hours away - well that would be a different story.  People wear sweatpants and UGGs to school and the grocery store there.  :shudder: - no offense if you choose to wear that to the store but I'm a firm believer in looking your best when leaving the house.  In fact I always get asked "why are you so dressed up?" and my answer always is "why aren't you?"  :-) 

LOVE THAT ANSWER!!!!

Yep, I love that answer too...."why aren't you?". Usually my answer is...."I never miss an occasion to overdress". It really stumps people because they can't work out if I'm serious or not. But truth be told, I don't do 'casual' very well so I always look overdressed.

I live in gwinnett county which is in the Atlanta, GA in the united states. Now, I have seen some girls who dress in the Rockabilly fashion but not too many who do pin up, at least not where I am in Atlanta. Now, I'm sure if I hang out in the city a bit more I would run into some but, unfortunately where I am I just haven't really seen the pin up look as much. But surprisingly enough I do get a lot of compliments from all age groups and from both men and women, more men then women who usually range from their 60's to about their 80's, which is pretty awesome. Also a lot of teenage girls ask me about my style and make up and want to learn how to do it. So, it is deffinately appreciated out here in the south.

RSS

Members

Forum

(somewhat melancholy....but..)

Started by BooPGirL in PUG Fans Around The World May 5, 2020. 0 Replies

I'm looking for examples of funeral appropriate style. Any suggestions? Continue

Sale: Bettie Page Aurora dress XL

Started by Marta in PUG Fans Around The World. Last reply by Susanne Brown Mar 11, 2019. 1 Reply

Sale: Bettie Page Aurora dress XLNever worn, new without tag, Belt Included!99 USD+…Continue

Tags: dress, pink, evening, formal, page

Doris pants in Chocolate brown

Started by Tabitha Burch in PUG Fans Around The World Feb 10, 2018. 0 Replies

I'm looking for a size 2x in the Doris pants in Chocolate brown. They are so out on the website. If anyone has a pair or know when it will be restocked, I need them!!

For saleBirdie dress floral S

Started by Marta in PUG Fans Around The World Oct 6, 2017. 0 Replies

Selling size S Birdie dress without belt, worn very few times. 70$+30 shipping worldwide.

© 2024   Created by John at Pinup Girl Clothing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service