Hey ladies! As the title of this forum post suggests, I'm BADLY in need of help when it comes to doing pin-up hair. I've tried tutorials on everything from victory rolls to bumper bangs that I've found on DVD's and YouTube and I just can't seem to find anything that really works out for me. For some reason my hair seems resistant to curlers, either that or I'm doing it completely wrong.

So yes, I'm a bit of a NOOB in this sense. What I'm looking for (if any of you can help me out that is) are tutorials or tips that you first learned when you first started doing pinup style hair. I'm open to any styles too, rolls, curls, bangs, just as long as it's pinup'y, retro, vintage, rockabilly or anything in between!

I'm hoping to take some PUG product shots for a blog review this week so hopefully I'll have a style or two I can learn in the next couple of days to share and show off along with the outfits Thank in advance everyone!

Hugs!

Tahitia :)

Views: 1846

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If your hair is fine I'd suggest using hotrollers first on dry hair using a setting spray to wet the ends, it's tedious but try to spritz every section down evenly, (don't get it soaking wet), THEN after those have set and are dry and cool, brush your hair out, then use a small curling iron, 1/2"-3/4", and set your hair with a working spray (a soft hold aerosol hairspray), curl your hair and pin then using pincurl clips or roller clips-let that fully cool, take them out and then brush accordingly to how you want your style. I am a stylist and run into this all the time doing weddings etc! Doing a double set when your hair is stubborn helps to hold it and using a smaller iron and having tighter curls helps it last. I've used alot of tutorials around, one of my favorites is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw90n9zWEGE&sns=fb

she's got a few on there, I hope it helps! Good luck and put some pictures up!!

I second that !!!

Unlike Harlow my hair is very fine & thin but it seems to like pincurls very much ! I love that you don't apply heat so there's virtually no damage involved in the curling process & also that it doesn't take ages to get ready in the morning :) A great variety of styling is possible too with different pincurls technique experiment & it makes it easier to create updos, victory rolls etc ! Plus it's the most "authentic" type of curls you can get.

I like using hot rollers too, they give volume but softer curls which are also pretty. 

Bendy foam rollers work fine too but they're not comfortable to sleep in compared to a pin curl set imo.

Classic foam rollers give a pretty authentic vintage look too but they tend to give a lot more frizz than pin curls, at least on my hair.

Here are pics of my hair using a wet pin curls set. :) 

My advice is experiment with the different methods & you'll find what works best for you ;) 

Viola

Attachments:

Viola you have definitely helped sell me on the pincurls, your hair is to die for you gorgeous woman you :)

I've  already looked up a few tutorials on YouTube and I think I'll give the pincurls a shot this weekend!

awww thanks jolie fille ! ;) ! 

Oh yes that's how you learn the best some tutorials are awesome & definitely easy to follow... after it's just practice practice practice... before that it was a real pain for me to do (& I would stop in a middle of a set to reach for curlers :s) but now I do this nearly everynight & it's done in 25 to 40 minutes :) 

I can't wait to see you try ! ^_^

Viola

Harlow this really sounds like an awesome idea! I never have fun at all sleeping in the squishy or wire mesh rollers either ;)

I`m glad you shared your secret because your hairstyle is one of my favourites that I`ve seen here on the site, and I think that your hair is close to the same length of mine so with a little practice hopefully I`ll be able to pull this off :)

Harlow, your hair is peeeeeeeeeeeerfection.

Hi Tahitia! I have pretty long, thick hair and have tried so many different ways to keep a curl in it.

The two ways I like the most are curling with a tong or hair straightener and then pinning until cooled (as suggested before) but I find this only to work for a few hours or unwindy days as it quickly falls out to a wave - which is still pretty but not what I want! And now pin curling is my favourite, as I can do it after a shower (although it takes me forever!) and sleep in it easily and the curls last. The only reason I think this is successful though is the setting spray I use. I bought it from a vintage hair and make up masterclass that I went to, but I'm sure you can get it anywhere.

Also, I couldn't get the brushing out right because I was using the wrong brush! I bought a big round bristle brush and now I can brush out the curls into a style much more easily!

When it comes to styling I think a good curl base is important, for victory rolls I like to tease quite a lot and I also find the hair rats very useful when it comes to faux bangs, you can just roll the hair around it and stick a few pins in. I am hoping I have attached photos. They are most certainly not the quality of Harlow or Viola (beautiful ladies!) but hopefully helpful as I too am pretty new to this. Also remember to add your twist to it, so what if your victory roll looks a little different, wear them to the side, facing forward, having the centre open - add your personal style to it and it will be perfect :) xx

Attachments:

Hey Nadia! That is really good advice, and your hair is just gorgeous in those pictures :)

Hey everyone! I just took my very first shot the pin curls this afternoon that Harlow Napalm and Viola Von Kitten suggested and they really turned out fabulous! I wasn't able to keep them in for long, my Sunday got busier than I expected, but I'm definitely going to do them again for later this week for a few product review shots.

Thanks again guys for all the advice :)

Oh great !!!!

Please please show me how it turned out ! :)))

I also just found this blog - I'm totally going to try her victory roll tutorial - looks like the easiest one yet.

http://www.superkawaiimama.com.au/

RSS

Members

Forum

(somewhat melancholy....but..)

Started by BooPGirL in PUG Fans Around The World May 5, 2020. 0 Replies

I'm looking for examples of funeral appropriate style. Any suggestions? Continue

Sale: Bettie Page Aurora dress XL

Started by Marta in PUG Fans Around The World. Last reply by Susanne Brown Mar 11, 2019. 1 Reply

Sale: Bettie Page Aurora dress XLNever worn, new without tag, Belt Included!99 USD+…Continue

Tags: dress, pink, evening, formal, page

Doris pants in Chocolate brown

Started by Tabitha Burch in PUG Fans Around The World Feb 10, 2018. 0 Replies

I'm looking for a size 2x in the Doris pants in Chocolate brown. They are so out on the website. If anyone has a pair or know when it will be restocked, I need them!!

For saleBirdie dress floral S

Started by Marta in PUG Fans Around The World Oct 6, 2017. 0 Replies

Selling size S Birdie dress without belt, worn very few times. 70$+30 shipping worldwide.

© 2024   Created by John at Pinup Girl Clothing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service