Lets talk makeup: what are your makeup essentials for putting together your vintage look?

So ladies, I am looking to buy some new makeup (quality makeup in particular!) and would love to hear what makeup essentials you can't go without to complete your vintage look. 

What makeup do you use in your everyday beauty routine? And your evening/night out make up?

What are some brands that you swear by?

Has anyone tried the following brands: Besame Cosmetics, Lime Crime, MAC, Chanel, Dior?

Currently my range of cosmetics is pretty sucky and hence I look pretty blah! At the moment I use Maybeline liquid foundation, Natio loose powder, Elizabeth Arden eyebrow pencil, Natio eye shaddow and brow shaddow, Natio Bronzer,  Napoleon Perdis lipstick in Aphrodite, and some lame drug store lip liner. Pretty lame, I know!

I'm looking to broaden my horizons with some better quality makeup and would love to hear what other vintage girls swear by :D

Views: 1739

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

MAC Russian Red is my go to lipstick. And I use the MAC cream lip liner as well with their lip primer. My lipstick stay PERFECT all day, even through meals. It is my go to regimen for the prefect red lip.

White eyeliner for my water line (I use the Sephora brand), MAC blacktrack cream liner for the perfect cats eye, and Maybelline brow pencil in blonde (its the only one that matches my blonde hair the closest). And I use an array of stuff for everything else. There is only a handful of products that I really swear by.

Love Russian Red! The perfect red lip.

I really needed some recommendations on lip primer! Mac has always worked for me. Especially their eyeliner and eyeliner brush. Thanks sweetheart! I will try that out as soon as possible! 

For my everyday look: I use Almay liquid foundation as a base, and then I blend in an drugstore brown cream eyeshadow to contour my face. I also use some drugstore white eyeshadow to highlight parts of my face. Then I set it with L'Oreal translucent loose powder. My liquid eyeliner and mascara is maybeline, eyebrow pencil is NYX, my blush is Mary Kay...and I use the same MAC Matte Russian Red for my lipstick. Like Billie May said, it really never comes off. However I usually have a nude lip liner that I use to outline above my natural lip-line.

For my evening looks, I just apply eyeshadow to my rountine for a more dramatic look. 

The quality of a lot of the things I use is often not that great...which is why I use them for different things like contouring. You just have to make it work for you. :) 

I am a makeup artist as well as an holistic esthetician. So my must have include good skin care as well as makeup, since great flawless skin starts with good healthy skin. 

For skincare I use all Dr.Hauschka products, and have for the last 15 years. 

For makeup, I use a combination of gloMinerals and MAC primarily. My mascara is Loreal and I use Smashbox brow tech wax to set my brow powder.

From gloMinerals is use the pressed base (foundation) in Natural Fair, brow powder in Auburn, Blush in Nectar and Sweet and several eye shadows and a ton of lipsticks and glosses.

Just like Billie May, I use MAC's Russian Red as my favorite lipstick. For a more daytime/neutral color I have MAC's Viva Glam V. I can't live without MAC's liquid eyeliner in Boot Black and Eye Shadow in Kid. 

I also agree with Billy May white eyeliner is key at the water line to brighten everything up. 

My other must have are good brushes, you need to be able to blend properly and apply the beautiful colors evenly. And ladies, do take care of your brushes, wash them regularly.  

I forgot to mention my false eyelashes, can't live without those of course! 

I'm all about MAC products in general. Plus Kat Von D's eye primer is the best I've used. My eye make up stays all day and night with that one.

This post has been so helpful... Thanks for all the great advice ladies! I need to get some Russian Red I think! :)

I actually really love the Napoleon Perdis lipstick in Aphrodite.  Their lipliners are also really great and super creamy.

I like to mix up my foundations so sometimes I use MAC Face and Body foundation, Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk, Napoleon China Doll Foundation, Chanel Mat Lumiere, and Dior Capture Totale.

For eyeshadows, I generally like Inglot, Mac, Too faced. I love my MAC fluidline for eyeliner.

I love the Anastasia brand for brows. Specifically their brow powder duos and the brow wiz pencils.

For powder, any general translucent powder will work, but I tend to use Chanel loose powder or Mac Mineralize skinfinish natural. 

I love Laura Mercier blushes, and I have some Chanel ones but honestly I can't say they're the best.

Some lipstick's I love are Makeup Forever Moulin Rouge red, NYX snow white, Mac Russian Red, Elizabeth Arden Poppy Cream, some YSL, some Chanel

I totally agree!!! It all the lovely color with none of the weird dried out lips I get with MAC

This is my holy grail of mascara.  

Yves Saint Laurent - Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils

I have tried many drug store and department store brands. It smells good too. I have long lashes but not terribly thick lashes. This stuff makes me look like I have fake eyelashes on. It is pricey though at $30 dollars a tube. Totally worth it though. Originally I was skeptical because I like a brush with more spacing to get between all my lashes but the formula of this mascara is awesome. It is extremely buildable so you can go for a lighter day look or build it to the point of looking like you have false eyelashes on without the Tammy Faye spider leg lashes.

In addition to my favorite make up item YSL's mascara I also love MAC studio fix foundation and their mineral loose powder. Mainly because my foundation matches my skin perfectly. If you only buy one expensive make up brush ever get the MAC 187 stippling brush, yes it's $50 bucks but it will last you for eons. I do not use the brush to apply my makeup. I apply foundation to only the areas of my face that need it with my finger then blend it out with the brush. It makes such a huge difference in my make up application.  I also steer clear of pressed powders and opt for loose powders because I feel they look more natural. I like cheek stains as well, they offer a very natural flushed look. The Balms stainiac blends the best in my opinion due to it being in gel form. And oh, Russian red is the shit. Lady bug is my second favorite MAC lipstick. It is a great yet but sheer so you can wear a red lip without it being so intense.  I feel like red lipstick looks a bit harsh on me though unless my eye make up is super subdued so for a more modest everyday lip I use Burts Bee's lip shimmer in fig. It is inexpensive and such a lovely wearable brick red. I like it even better than Cliniques cult classic black honey lip gloss because I feel like it is more pigmented. The last favorite item of mine is Tarte's emphasEYES waterproof Amazonian Clay Liner. It comes with a brush that is actually really good as well. I far prefer this to liquid eyeliner, it is easier to apply being that it is a clay and not a liquid. It dries quickly and doesn't budge until you want it too. I set the cap on the jar in between dips to prevent it from drying out.
I

A good foundation, good mascara, and excellent lipstick! I am all about the Benefit line, especially the foundation, dr feelgood (a moisturizer), and Girl Meets Pearl, a liquid pearl that goes over foundation that adds a lovely pearl glow for us pale girls without the shine!

RSS

Members

Forum

(somewhat melancholy....but..)

Started by BooPGirL in PUG Fans Around The World May 5, 2020. 0 Replies

I'm looking for examples of funeral appropriate style. Any suggestions? Continue

Sale: Bettie Page Aurora dress XL

Started by Marta in PUG Fans Around The World. Last reply by Susanne Brown Mar 11, 2019. 1 Reply

Sale: Bettie Page Aurora dress XLNever worn, new without tag, Belt Included!99 USD+…Continue

Tags: dress, pink, evening, formal, page

Doris pants in Chocolate brown

Started by Tabitha Burch in PUG Fans Around The World Feb 10, 2018. 0 Replies

I'm looking for a size 2x in the Doris pants in Chocolate brown. They are so out on the website. If anyone has a pair or know when it will be restocked, I need them!!

For saleBirdie dress floral S

Started by Marta in PUG Fans Around The World Oct 6, 2017. 0 Replies

Selling size S Birdie dress without belt, worn very few times. 70$+30 shipping worldwide.

© 2024   Created by John at Pinup Girl Clothing.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service